Search This Blog

Friday, December 30, 2005

Egyptian Star

This is the last photo I took before I suffered a mishap. My mask strap broke during my night dive on the Thislegorm. My own fault as one really shouldn't adjust too many things. As my mask started to fill up, I searched for my dive buddy, Spauling. Grappling in the dark, I got his attention. He managed to settle me on some part of the Thistlegorm and then attempt to perform some minor surgery on the mask. As he struggle to lock the clip back into place, I waited patiently. In what seemed like an eternity, I palpated some object in my hand. Proprioception being a strong point for a surgeon, I thought it might be part of my mask. Offering it to Spauling, he carefully set this bracket in place and the other end of the clip snapped into place. Cleared my mask and voila, I could see again. We checked out our gauges and realized that we had another 10 minutes of air time and continued the dive. Yes, it isn't a dive I am likely to soon forget. Looking back I am rather surprised I didn't panic of course but then I ran out of sight not air...a real emergency in diving. Many thanks to Spauling for the repair job. Posted by Picasa

No comments: