Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Oh what a beautiful day!

After last year's fiasco, where I inadvertently put myself on call on the day that I was suppose to take Mr. Hippo and my parents to Stratford, I was doubly cautious about booking this year's performance. Thankfully, the theatre folks at Stratford provided me a refund for our Twelfth Night tickets which I put toward the musical Oklahoma.

It was truly a beautiful morning and yes, a beautiful day. The gardens at Stratford were in full bloom. Although thundershowers threatened in the late afternoon, the sun prevailed. The performance was lively and energetic. Many in the audience were singing along. The voice of "Curly", the male lead was simply gorgeous. Rich, melodious and so soothing. He could probably charm snakes with it.

Mr. Hippo had not seen a musical in nearly 20 years. The last one being Jesus Christ Superstar. Although not quite his taste, he found the experience entertaining. I suspect the scenes of dancing cowboys (including a ballet performance) echoed too closely to Brokeback Mountain imagery. After the performance, it was dinner at Carter's on Downie followed by a lovely river walk back to the car before heading home.