Search This Blog

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Recycling Human Tissue


I realize that the rejuvenating qualities of fetal cells have been used to treat patients with Parkinsons but using placental cream to reverse the ageing process is a whole other kettle of fish. Naturally I am kicking myself as having the cornerstone to an endless supply of the stuff, I had never thought to sell this "by-product" of birth. Human placentas are generally incinerated in North America. I have heard a whole cornocopia of other uses from burial in the backyard (fertilizer) to injestion of the tissue (sustenance).

Other superstitions is keeping the placenta in a jar for luck. The membranes and placenta were of "read" at birth by wise women to forecast the fortunes of the child. If the baby was born with its membranes wrapped around its...."born in the caul", this is considered quite lucky as the child was not likely to drown. Others viewed such "veiled births" are individuals who are born with second sight. I guess the placenta cream is just another in long list of superstitions about the mystical properties of fetal tissue.