Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Musings on the West Coast



Well, it back to the Eastern Canada after a week out on the west coast of (yes, it is beautiful) British Columbia. The trip was blessed with great weather which naturally colours my impression of the land. Vancouver and Victoria are very laid back cities and environmentally conscious. The public buses in Vancouver have bike racks on the front to facilitate use of public transit by cyclists. To reduce the number of cars, there is a car co-op to join. You can rent car for a few hours (to perhaps pick up a friend or relative at the airport) or for a day's getaway to the mountains.

I did have a run-with nature. The birds, the birds...more specifically the crows. Near my friend's home in Vancouver, there are a pair of crows. As it is nesting season, they are quite agressive about protecting their territory. They swoop down on unsuspecting passerby's such as myself. The doppler effect of the screech is quite alarming. But I did manage to duck as the last minute. It caused great distress and confusion on my part such that I inadvertently tried to enter the house adjacent to the house where my friend resides. One wonders what the deaf do in such neighbourhoods. As I recall this story to my friend later that evening, she did share a similar "attack" story a few days earlier. Two days after my encouter with the birds, the above sign was posted on the tree in front of her home.