Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Bugs Bunny Classics

The last few days have been quite hectic. In my job, I can often be up at odd hours at night as babies respect no one's time but their own. All parents realize that this behaviour continues long after birth. But a nice perk of the job is getting regular days off. Wandering the malls on Monday morning and shopping without fighting the crowds is a nice bonus.

I did finally go a see an opera (another new year's resolution) with Dessie. A traditional production of La Boheme. Rudolfo and the other male voices was passable but Mimi and Musetta were phenomenal. I realized in the middle of the opera how many arias and tunes in the opera were so familiar but I never could put a name to them. This probably stems from my early exposure to classical music during those Looney Tunes episodes. The most memorable is the overture to the Barber of Seville being played as Bugs gives Elmer Fudd a shave. Quite clever and piss in your pants funny! This led to me thinking that Bugs was the Barber of Seville when I growing up. The true origins of the piece did not come to light until my teens.


No comments: