Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2005

Hop Scotch

Tis hard to believe that it has been ten years since I first tasted my first single malt scotch. I was on a guided tour of Britain, Scotland and Wales with my parents. Being the youngest member of the tour and the only person under age of 30 years made for episodes of boredom. I soon realized that guided tours was not for me. I do not like to be herded during travel. Lacking of freedom to wander, taking in a meal or drink at my leisure nearly...well drove me to drink. Worse it seemed the collective goal of the tour by many of my fellow travellers was to "I've been there" pictures or footage of the UK.

But I digress. The highlight of the tour was the first to Glen Livet's Distillery. After a long and rather tedious description of the distilling process, our guide finally brought us to the tasting room. I really think he should have started here and spoke about the history of this drink in Scotland as we toured the facility.

The drink....so smooth, so tasty, straight up, no ice, none of that harsh aftertaste so often I have since experienced with other less brands that are fit to poured into car batteries. After all this time, I hope to start a new chapter in a long glorious history of EtOH consumption at a new scotch tasting night in town.

As Liberace once said...Bottoms Up!

2 comments:

Tym said...

Yay, blog! Yam seng!

NARDAC said...

Make sure to get a taxi home, ya hear me?