Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Flat on my back

Eek, can there be no worse sign of aging that the bad back. After an attempt at real bowling the past Saturday, I sent my back into terrific turmoil. I then spent the remainder of the weekend laid up on my bed trying not to move. This is naturally a lot harder than it sounds. With each leg extension, head twist, sneeze, cough or laugh, or attempts to get to the bathroom, my lower back would be sent into unceasing spasms. Expletives flowed until the pain ebbed.

Thankfully, there was Trimacet, an excellent analgesia which was coupled with warm and loving back massages from Mr. Hippo and cold compresses. Mom provided the requisite comfort food of rice porridge/congee with pork, chicken and preserved pickled vegetables.

I did get a lot of movie watching done.....Brick, Air Guitar Nation, Eastern Promises, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Assassination of Jesse James and Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street....as well as finish more than half of Bel Canto. Alas, as with all illnesses, the end comes.....at the start of Monday, the beginning of the work week.